Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Heat



Heat. Right now it’s all I can seem to think about. I wake up in the morning perturbed by the light hitting my windows; turning my little room into a sauna. I set my alarm for “early” hoping to elude the heat, hoping to get a nice little practice in before day is upon me, hoping to find refreshment, but the only thing I seem to find is myself…myself in a state of frustration. I honestly don’t want to move. I want to be lethargic, sit in an ice bath, and downright do nothing. I’m irritable and can’t quickly find my focus. I search for solace but instead find sweat. I struggle to get through my asana’s and worse yet some times struggle to even start my practice.

I voluntarily step into my Bikram studio. I inhale the 106-degree heat. I let it wash over me. So, what is the difference between the heated studio and my heated apartment…

Perhaps intention.

Regardless, when the forces of nature are upon us we can do nothing but to respond in peace. I’ve been fighting and resisting this heat, rather than embracing it. Perhaps if I can just sink into it I’ll find it less embracive than it seems…

No comments: