Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Inspired By Heat


I have no idea where this heat wave came from. Early Sunday morning I was driving to teach in Huntington Beach, all around I felt warmth on my skin. As I began to guide my students through their practice I started to notice that all of them were dripping with sweat. Yes we were moving our way through Sun Salutations building our Tapas, but I hardly found it sweat-worthy. An hour later as I was driving up to work I noticing that my sunglasses kept slipping down my nose. By the time I made it to my Sunday evening class I noticed that even as the sun was setting I was sweating. Yesterday I resisted the heat, wanting only to cool down and take it slow, but by today I noticed that I began to revel in the heat, working off of it. Building and building Tapas in my personal practice and with clients. I noticed my students getting deeper in their forward folds. I noticed my body opening and responding to the heat, and I watched as my personal client was able to make her way into positions she hadn't been able to do in the past.

It's been quiet a while since I took my last Bikram class, as I've began to teach Hatha more and more I have shifted away from Bikram, as (at the time) I found it difficult to work into my already busy schedule, but today I am reminded of the benefits of heat, and am encouraged to return to my favorite Bikram studio, Bikram Yoga Downtown Fullerton, to deepen my personal practice.

As such here are a few benefits working in a heated room is said to have:

Release toxins
Improve flexibility and range of motion
Increase the chances of weight loss
Develop muscle tone
Build the immune system

Give heat a try and see how it works for you. Let me know. I love your feed back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEbIIO4KK54 (Here's a little Video link about what Bikram actually is.)

No comments: